Elwynn Taylor, Iowa State University meteorologist, explains that the impact of the drought could continue if the states of Iowa and Illinois have less than 18 inches of moisture to recharge droughty soils by the end of planting 2013, and that will require above normal rainfall as of Oct. 1 through the end of June.
Drought could continue without soil recharge
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- What is the relationship between maturity group, yield?
- Commentary: Ambulance-chaser lawyers take on Syngenta
- Berman: Camouflaged activists threaten agriculture