AgProfessional and the Agricultural Retailers Association have initiated the Precision Impact Awards to recognize local retailer operations or local management individuals for excellence in incorporating precision ag into their retail operations and their farmer customers’ operations. This award provides an outlet to show the public that ag retailers using precision ag technology are promoting good stewardship and are responsible environmentalists.
A winner from each of three regions—Plains/West, North and South—will be presented an award and have their local operation highlighted for exceptional achievement. See the map for regional boundaries. (If service is provided across borders, the retail operation will be in competition with other operations in the region where the headquarters is located.)
- Two round-trip airline tickets to the ARA Conference and Expo, Dec. 2-4, 2014 in New Orleans.
- Two-night accommodations at the Sheraton New Orleans in New Orleans’s French Quarter.
- VIP dinner with sponsors at the convention.
- Two-page article in special section of AgProfessional magazine highlighting the winning retailer operation with emphasis on precision technology.
- Award presentation at the ARA Conference and Expo.
- Highlight of winners in short video on AgProfessional website.
- News release about accomplishment to local and regional media.
Nomination Deadline: September 15, 2014
Judging Criteria Related to Use of Technology
Provide descriptions, explanations and support that addresses the criteria noted below. A judging panel made up of sponsors and university experts will evaluate each operation
The bullet points are to stimulate ideas about what a company is doing in each category, rather than individual questions to be answered.
- Reduces waste in time and application of materials.
- Has continuous communications with staff for efficient equipment use.
- Delivers inputs on time and where needed.
- Tracks products and containers.
- Reduces water needs and water use.
Grower Engagement and Encouragement of Customer Use
- Makes recommendations for farmer technology upgrades.
- Keeps abreast of the latest technology for retail and farmer use.
- Provides options to customers for product use.
- Gives personalized service to customers.
- Offers training to growers.
Stewardship for the Environment
- Recommends fertilizer use consistent with 4R philosophy (right fertilizer, right rate, right time and right placement).
- Promotes best management practices.
- Recognizes uniqueness of every field and its requirements.
- Has initiatives to enhance soil health working with customers.
- Reduces runoff, pollution or off-target product concerns.
Overall Innovative Use of Precision Technologies
- Makes changes as technology improvements warrant.
- Has employees familiar with potential for upgrading business.
- Works with companies to tailor programs with best fit for operations.
- Invests in employee knowledge to stay current in technology.
Bottom-line Profitability for Company and Customers
- Provides input for appropriate product and volume to apply.
- Maintains inventory control while meeting customer needs.
- Has e-connectivity ordering based on customer pre-season input.
- Reduces fuel use, labor needs and equipment wear and tear.
- Enhances data collection for crop insurance and agronomic purposes.