Wide Variety of NAICC Topics
Al Averitt, Protech Advisory Service, Inc., explained the establishment of the Global Alliance of Independent Agricultural Consultants, which has the goal of consultants meeting and trading experiences with other consultants worldwide. His contention is that the tools of precision ag technology are 80 percent of what farmers see as precision ag, but those tools only contribute 20 percent of the return while data analysis, or the remaining scope of precision ag actually accounts for 80 percent of the return or profit to a farmer.
Agronomic practices became the focus in some of the following presentations. Plant tissue analysis was the topic of Fred Vocasek, Servi-Tech, Inc., Dodge City, Kan. Soil fertility dynamics was a presentation by Scott Murrell, Ph.D., International Plant Nutrition Institute, West Lafayette, Ind. Weed resistance management as determined by the Weed Science Society of America was the main focus of the presentation by Ted Webster, Ph.D., USDA Agricultural Research Service, Crop Protection and Management Research Unit, Tifton, Ga.
One extended afternoon session allowed representatives of companies introducing emerging new technology to educate about new products in five-minute segments. Most of the 15 products were also being highlighted at booths within the AgPro Trade Show held in conjunction with the annual meeting.
A panel of crop consultants talked about their experiences dealing with weed resistance during the last official meeting time slot. Additional free form crop consultant discussion took place the last morning, Saturday, Jan. 26.
- Alltech Crop Science acquires South African distributor
- Monsanto invests to transform plant breeding
- Fungicide-resistant soybean diseases spreading
- Most crop futures are starting Thursday on a strong note
- Initiatives attack biotech on ballots in Colorado, Oregon, Maui
- Commentary: Ag’s leading role in the international marketplace
- ValueAct buys stake in fertilizer dealer Agrium
- Critics of Dow herbicide sue U.S. EPA over approval
- Six tips to help professionals take leaps of faith
- Nitrogen fertilization rates for corn production
- Landmark Services Co-op, Curry Seeds sign agreement
- No-till may not bring boost in global crop yields
- Los Angeles City Council votes to explore ban on GMO plants
- ASA issues statement on EPA’s neonicotinoid study
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals
- First responders need to prepare for agroterrorism