On-Farm Precision Research
More complicated comparisons, such as strip trials going across changing soil types and different elevations, can generate precision data statistics too sophisticated for a farmer to evaluate, Wagner noted. “The main thing with all these statistics is to get help because it is extremely important that you know you spent your summer doing something worthwhile and accomplished something,” he said.
Steve Cubbage Robertson and other service providers see their value to farmers as being more important than ever because of all the data that has to be gathered, analyzed and interpreted. Steve Cubbage, president of Prime Meridian LLC, explained the need for a service provider like himself helping farmers who are incorporating precision ag into their operations. He spoke at last year’s AgGateway annual meeting.
Cubbage is adamant that unaffiliated, independent service providers need to be the data cop for gathering and interpreting—a trustworthy source of analysis and securing data. He said gathering all the data from various sources and precision systems is like being a “modern day cat herder” serving the farmer.
Whether it be every day precision farming or on-farm research, farmers need numbers from technology that can be compiled in a significant way. Wagner said, “It is extremely important to figure the probability and chances of repeating positive results.”
- Phomopsis stem canker in sunflowers
- Conference to help companies take next steps in eBusiness
- Energy for growing crops is large part of farm operating costs
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- 3D Robotics launches new 3DR mapping platforms
- Report finds ag employers can’t fill STEM jobs
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals
- Do you think the term “agricultural sustainability” is as strong of a buzzword and emphasis for action in the industry as it was 3 years ago?