Logistics pays off for nutrient sampling
Photo by NCRS Tissue sampling is becoming a bigger aspect of the Ceres Solutions AgVantage program. Scheduling of sampling becomes even more important and complicated when tissue sampling is involved. Walker explained, “We are going to sample 500 fields this summer for tissue samples. Tissue sampling is not like soil sampling when you can just show up one time and you are done. You have got to show up at that tissue sample field three or four times during the season. And you have to show up on the right day for the right growth stage.”
The answer for scheduling put Walker back to working with software programmers to figure out how to use planting dates, seed selection, scouting information, a calculator for growing degree days and more to schedule tissue sampling.
The computer software program calculates sampling dates based on the information entered. The dates are manually entered into the AgLogic system so that a sampling route and spatial reference can be established.
The logistics information captured for soil and tissue sampling shows the sampling pattern throughout a field and even where to restart sampling if it had to be suspended due to rain or dark.
Using the software programs provides a positive return on investment for Ceres Solutions. Walker said, “We are in a much better place than we were five or six years ago.”
- Phomopsis stem canker in sunflowers
- Conference to help companies take next steps in eBusiness
- Energy for growing crops is large part of farm operating costs
- Moves in livestock futures bracketed those of the crop markets
- 3D Robotics launches new 3DR mapping platforms
- Report finds ag employers can’t fill STEM jobs
- How much corn can the ethanol industry use?
- USDA releases 2012 cash rents data report
- Commentary: Government wants farmers to quit farming
- Economist: Taxing P could reduce risk of algal blooms
- Resistant weeds not controlled by fall residuals
- Do you think the term “agricultural sustainability” is as strong of a buzzword and emphasis for action in the industry as it was 3 years ago?