Limited New Corn Traits in This Decade
Things have changed today and Bayer has been reacting. “We have some new lepidoptera-control product events coming down the line, and we have some new coleoptera, usually referred to as CRW products coming down the line,” Zurliene said.
BASF does not own a seed company, but it is heavily involved in plant biotechnology as a trait technology partner that works with market leaders in the seed business, historically with Monsanto primarily with corn and soybeans, as well as with other partners in additional crops.
In corn, yield and stress research is the focus for BASF, and DroughtGuard hybrids, being offered through Monsanto, are the fi rst commercial product from the BASF and Monsanto collaboration. Work on a second-generation of drought-tolerant corn is in progress.
“Our collaboration in yield and stress with Monsanto was established in 2007 for corn, soybeans, cotton and canola. It was further expanded in 2010 to include wheat,” explained Dan Bihlmeyer, partner manager with BASF Plant Science.
BASF Plant Science has other collaborations in place and is reaching out to other partners. Fungal resistant corn is a new area of emphasis for BASF; however, this research is in the discovery and proof-of-concept phase and no partner has yet been selected.
“We see fungal traits as another key area for the future. One reason is because we have strong fungal expertise both in our crop protection division and in our plant biotech soybean research, and this complements our focus on yield and stress,” Bihlmeyer said.
Closer to launch are additional biotech traits for higher yielding corn. This intrinsic yield project will benefit corn farmers across the U.S. and is in collaboration with Monsanto. Product launch is expected within the decade, according to Bihlmeyer. He said, “Development is advancing quite well, and we are excited about the opportunity.”
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Dry weather, biofuel mandate to boost palm prices in 2014
- 2014 Farm Bill: Reallocating base acreage
- FAS administrator talks world ag export situation
- The Beige Book is out. The agriculture picture is not rosy
- New precision potassium fertilizer from AgroLiquid
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Growth Points: Big data is about to get even bigger
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Blend and Bulk Tower Systems