Is Extension Extinction Underway?
"We are losing an unbelievable wealth of knowledge as these people leave at a rapid pace," said Ramaswamy. "While age plays a role for many, others are retiring simply because of the negativity they face about the role of the public sector. The continuing downward spiral of funding from federal, state and local sources reinforces those feelings, as retirees are not replaced. There is a sense that the public doesn't believe in investing taxpayer dollars in a program like Extension."
While Ramaswamy does his best to be optimistic, basic concerns come through. "I am concerned that retirement, funding cuts, position eliminations and shoe-stringing along the remaining positions are taking their toll," he said. "I am afraid that for America, there is a serious and detrimental thing waiting to happen. We have choices waiting to be made as a nation. I think we are reaching a tipping point that could destroy this unbelievable institution called Extension."
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- El Niño could strike as early as summer
- Fertilizer in small doses yields higher returns for less money
- Research shows GM crops safe, no special labeling needed
- Canada orders railways to boost grain shipments to ease logjam
- New soil health toolbox evaluates plant available nutrients
- Spectacular economic growth in China has a downside: drought
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks
Blend and Bulk Tower Systems