Great Lakes Water Issues Are a Concern
“The bill in Congress to reform the TSCA has a very strong pre-emption wording that CGLI supports. It would prevent states that don’t have the science behind its rules and regulations of chemistries from pre-empting federal law, and the federal law would require a science-based approach in deciding the risk analysis of chemistries,” Taylor noted.
Because there are some individuals being appointed to the committees or annexes that want chemical safety to be based on the precautionary approach rather than a completely science-based approach, those in agricultural industries, including farmers, should probably be concerned.
“You’ve got this safer chemistries activity and you’ve got these Great Lakes annexes dealing with chemicals of mutual concern. One of the first activities is how to define chemicals of mutual concern,” Taylor added.
“You have a group of people that don’t want to pay attention to science; those are the precautionary people, and then you have those of us who think everything we do has to be based on scientific analysis,” he said.
In working with and for MACA, Taylor’s job is education on issues of concern to the agricultural chemical industry, but as the executive director of the Missouri Agribusiness Association, he does have a lobbying function.
In either case, he thinks those in agriculture have a responsibility to work with Congress, the EPA and the Great Lakes Committee to educate and advocate for the interests of agriculture.
Taylor is encouraging people in agriculture to become educated about these issues and become involved and participating as advocates for process and regulation that is fair and equitable to agricultural industries, including crop protection manufacturers and agricultural retailers. He states that a great way to become involved is to join and be active in organizations like MACA.
The Great Lakes Initiative has been around so long in the background, and people who will be impacted have kind of let the bureaucrats and those with an activist point of view talk, compile meeting minutes and write low-action reports.
But as Taylor said, “One day soon they could actually break through and do something silly affecting agriculture.”
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- Avoid contaminating seed super boxes in handling
- U.N. warns food security a risk to Asia-Pacific
- Ag markets ended Tuesday in mixed fashion once again.
- Vietnam cuts rice export price floor, eyes Manila tender
- Ag markets turned decidedly mixed Tuesday morning
- Calculations for March 1 corn stocks estimate
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Julie Borlaug says biotech is necessary in fight against hunger
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
Speed King Blender
CrustBuster/Speed King, Inc.