Farms under professional management
Illinois farmland under management by members of the Illinois Society of Professional Farm managers and Rural Appraisers topped the 2 million mark in 2012, according to a “Profile of Services” survey done by that organization earlier this year.
“This survey shows that the 2,030,118 acres under management by Society members represents 7.6 percent of the 26,746,366 total farmland acres in the state reported by the USDA,” said Bruce Huber, AFM, ARA, Hickory Point Bank Ag Services, Decatur, Ill., and president of ISPFMRA. He says this is the first definitive survey taken of the industry in at least 20 years.
Huber says the survey was divided into two sections with one focusing on farm management and real estate services and the other on appraisal services. Only one survey form per company was submitted in an effort to reduce redundant responses.
“The total number of properties being managed by the members is 6,241 with an average of 32 farms per manager,” Huber explained. “The members reported that both the number of farms and acres under management increased by more than 13 percent since 2003. And they expect this trend to continue moving forward.”
He notes that the value of the farms managed in 2012 was put at $20.76 billion. Valuation on all agricultural land appraised by the members in 2012 was set at $5.06 billion.
“The total society membership consists of 259 members among 116 companies offering farm management and real estate or appraisal services,” Huber explained. “The survey was very broad brush and the results cover everything from the average number of farms managed by professional farm managers to the types of leases managed to the value of farmland appraised and sold by the firms during 2012.”
Highlights of the survey include:
Services offered by Farm Management Firms
Farm Management — 78%
Real Estate Services — 13.2%
Appraisal Services — 4.9%
Other — 3.4%
Total Properties Managed — 6,261
Average Number of Properties Per Manager — 32
Total Farmland Acres under Management — 2,030,118
2012 Value of Properties Managed — $20,760,743,000
ISPFMRA Members Designated as Accredited Managers — 80.1 %
Total Acres by Crop
Corn — 1,170,414
Soybeans — 788,298
Wheat — 31,682
Pasture — 17,403
Acres Managed Up 13.3%
# of Properties Up 13.6%
Tillage Practices on Acres Managed
- Study says neonics are widespread in Iowa waters
- Weyerhaeuser and DuPont Pioneer sign license agreement
- Why your business needs a CSO
- Woman arrested in seed theft case released on bond
- Rabobank reports U.S. set to become urea self-sufficient
- Tremendous response to Iowa’s new nutrient reduction program
- Don’t link bird decline and use of neonicotinoids
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Look at fertilizer pricing 2013 vs. 2014
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease
- Study of pesticides and autism is junk science
- Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'