CFQ: Retailers Critical to Nutrient Management Plan Success
Lawrence says Iowa has developed and presented its strategy ahead of most states, and spent a great deal of time developing the science assessment as a foundation for the strategy.
"We're typically quite modest about our efforts, but, yes, Iowa is leading the pack. We were the second state to complete a state nutrient reduction strategy, behind Mississippi," says Richmond. "Two things that notably set our strategy apart are the comprehensive nonpoint source science assessment that was completed as part of our strategy and the joint effort between both point and nonpoint sources towards collectively achieving the 45 percent reduction goals for N and P."
Richmond adds other states have varying degrees of efforts underway to develop and implement strategies, with most expected to complete strategies by the end of 2013. To check the status of other states, visit water.epa.gov/type/watersheds/named/msbasin/nutrient_strategies.cfm.
"The path forward to reducing nutrient impacts will not be easy. This strategy is the beginning. There still is a need for development of additional practices, testing of new practices, further testing of existing practices, and verifying practice performance at implementation scales. This strategy encourages development of new science, new technologies, new opportunities and the further engagement and collaboration of both the public and private sectors," notes the report.
"This plan will take many years to be fully implemented," says Lawrence. "However, it is important to get started now. The practices are in place. Now help farmers figure the most appropriate practices for their farms and how they fit in conservation plans for the future."
- International Year of Soils set for 2015
- Extra care needed for wintertime fuel handling
- CLA issues statement on EPA’s neonicotinoid report
- Cattle futures bucked the bearish ag market trend Thursday
- Valent launches new low VOC plant growth regulator
- Thursday's export data had mixed crop market implications
- ValueAct buys stake in fertilizer dealer Agrium
- DuPont Crop Protection to sell certain assets to Bayer
- Critics of Dow herbicide sue U.S. EPA over approval
- Six tips to help professionals take leaps of faith
- Nitrogen fertilization rates for corn production
- Landmark Services Co-op, Curry Seeds sign agreement