In Perspective: Prop 37 defeated; proponents undeterred
This new coalition is composed of the following groups and individual who are leading its approach: Food Democracy Now!, Green America, Institute for Responsible Technology, Nature’s Path Organic Foods, Nutiva and Vani Hari, a food activist writer and a two time elected North Carolina delegate, endorsed by President Obama.
The anti-GMO groups have blamed Monsanto and the other companies and organizations that raised funds to defeat Prop 37 as bullies who want to control the market. However, what the activists don’t explain is that Prop 37’s wording was confusing. The proposition, as written, would have required any processed food to use the words “Partially Produced with Genetic Engineering” or “May be Partially Produced with Genetic Engineering.” The wording does not make it clear to consumers if the products contained GMOs, which was the goal the activists claimed they wanted to achieve.
In the end, consumers were not gaining what they were told they would. This could have opened up a plethora of potential lawsuits, which would have bogged down the legal system.
However, despite the loss in California, the activists will continue to push forward with lawsuits, plus state and national initiatives. Now is not the time for the industry to let down its guard.
Self-contained hydraulic system with power cables (hydraulic). Tandem Henschen axles (hydraulic). Hydraulic fenders. Manual or hydraulic tilt. 6,500-gallon tank.
- El Niño could strike as early as summer
- Fertilizer in small doses yields higher returns for less money
- Research shows GM crops safe, no special labeling needed
- Canada orders railways to boost grain shipments to ease logjam
- New soil health toolbox evaluates plant available nutrients
- Bayer CropScience to acquire Biagro Group
- Are you in favor of a federal labeling standard for food that might contain genetically modified ingredients?
- Commentary: Barking up the wrong tree
- Water allocation for most drought-stricken Calif. farms to end
- Larson Electronics offers 150 Watt LED high bay light fixture
- Panama says 'go' to GM mosquito evaluation
- Update on the world’s 15 largest seed banks