Valent BioSciences shows off Osage, Iowa, facility
Valent BioSciences Corporation (VBC) has marked the official opening of its new $146 million biorational manufacturing facility in Osage, Iowa, in a ceremony that included more than 130 international dignitaries, state and local VIPs, and media personnel.
VBC is a global leader in the discovery, development, manufacturing and commercialization of biorational products for agriculture, public health and forestry.
“This is a landmark day for Valent BioSciences, our parent Sumitomo Chemical Company (SCC), and for the entire biorational segment,” said Ted Melnik, VBC Executive Vice President and COO. “Not only does this investment reflect the rapid growth of our business and validate the value of biorational technology in the marketplace, it puts us in the position to meet the rising demand for our products as we continue to develop new and innovative solutions for our customers around the world.”
Located on an expansive 73-acre site, the new 130,000-square-foot plant is the largest purpose-built biorational facility in the world and will serve as the manufacturing and quality control center for VBC’s broad portfolio of fermentation products. VBC brands are derived from biological origins and provide economic, health and environmental benefits for agriculture, public health and forestry markets in 95 countries around the globe.
The opening of the new plant comes on the heels of VBC’s acquisition of Pace International, LLC (Pace), in early 2013 and its announcement of a long-term strategic alliance with Biomar Microbial Technologies (Biomar) in February of this year. The Pace acquisition made SCC the first multinational supplier to offer both conventional and biorational product solutions for seed, preharvest crop production and preharvest and postharvest crop protection applications. The Biomar alliance will create a new pipeline of science-based products with additional work being conducted at Valent BioSciences’ research facility at Long Grove, Ill.
VBC currently manufactures microbial insecticides, nematicides and plant growth regulators used in production agriculture for managing plant growth, quality and stress in crops.
Valent BioSciences Corporation is headquartered in Libertyville, Ill., Valent BioSciences is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sumitomo Chemical Company. Additional information is at www.valentbiosciences.com.
- Boxers or Briefs? Underwear buried to demonstrate unhealthy soil
- Tire makers race to turn dandelions into rubber
- Toro releases guide for using micro-sprinklers for IPM
- USDA to fund $25 million in value-added producer grants
- Crop futures mostly higher, livestock prices stabilizing
- Suppress Palmer pigweed with a ryegrass cover crop
- Deere to lay off more than 600 at four U.S. plants
- Slow pace of rail recovery stirs fear of future woes
- The four pillars of seeing opportunities in problems
- New DuPont Afforia herbicide introduced for soybeans
- RTK brings higher level of accuracy to farmers
- WinField introduces Answer Tech and Data Silo
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Suspected Bt corn rootworm resistance in Pennsylvania
- BioNitrogen to build second fertilizer plant in Texas
- Commentary: Setting the record straight on 'Waters of the U.S.'
- Soybean aphid numbers on the rise
- Solar energy jobs increase, wind power decrease